Monday, May 18, 2015

Me and My Mom: Just a Couple of Fanilows

Being a dad has taught me a lot about being a son. It’s shown me the importance of having a relationship with my mom like the kind I want my kids to have with me when they’re grown up.

Doing things like making time for a cup of coffee. Not letting too much time pass without calling her to catch up.

And by all means, taking her to see Barry Manilow when he comes through town.

The backstory: Barry has always been my mom’s favorite. His albums were in constant rotation when I was tiny. By the time I was 10, she’d dragged me to three shows.

Except by dragged, I mean super pumped to go — there’s a 98% chance I’m remembering this incorrectly, but I recall killer light shows. And who doesn’t love “Copacabana?” (Tony, that’s who. Things do not go his way.)

So how was Barry’s show, nigh 30 years later? A lot of fun. Billed as “One Last Time,” this tour is kind of a victory lap for the Nose That Made It (as my dad called him), and he played all this hits. Unfortunately, he also played some of the new stuff, but never mind that.

During “Can’t Smile Without You,” my mom leaned over and gave me a hug and said that was four-year-old Robert’s favorite song. It was a nice moment. I may be a dad now, but I’ll still always be her kid.

For the record, 2015 Robert’s top three Manilow jams are:

We had a great time, and it was thoroughly awesome to do something special with my mom. Call it cheeseball, but it’s totally true.

Madeline and James, I look forward to you taking me to the LCD Soundsystem reunion tour 2047. We’ll have some future beers, teleport home and it’ll be the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment